Archive

Herman Cain's Commentary Archive 2009-2012

April 18, 2010

So I’m a racist for disagreeing with Obama?

April 18, 2010
By Herman Cain

When someone calls me a derogatory name such as “Uncle Tom” or “sellout” I don’t even flinch, because it puts their ignorance and lack of intelligence on display. But when someone accuses me or others of being a racist because we disagree with President Obama, I get really, really, really angry.

I couldn’t care less that they call me a racist. But I care a whole lot that they try to intimidate me into not disagreeing with President Obama because he is African-American. To suggest we cannot disagree with our elected leaders for whatever reason is to suggest that we are a nation to be governed by tyranny.

My fuse was lit on this subject by a caller to my radio show last week. It was near the end of the show and I almost made it without having to provide some gift-wrapped explanation to a liberal about her illogical and ridiculous accusation. My radio show producer describes this gift-wrapping technique as delivering a part of one’s anatomy to them on a platter.

Her first question was why am I against health care? I am a survivor of Stage IV cancer because God said “not yet”, and because America has the best health care in the world. I pointed out to her that we do not have a health care crisis in America. We have a health care cost crisis. ObamaCare makes the real crisis worse.

Her second intellectually challenged question was why do I associate with those tea party people, who are the same ones that used to hang black people 100 years ago? I resisted the urge to point out that tea party attendees were not alive one hundred years ago and that most of the centenarians were probably at home watching the tea parties on TV.

Here’s what I did say: I associate with tea party people because I share their passionate disagreement with the escalation of big government, legislation and taxation without members of Congress reading the bills, and an arrogant disregard for the voice of the majority of Americans by President Obama and the Democrats. The caller interpreted those disagreements as Obama bashing.

At that point I knew this was not going to be a logical exchange of perspectives.

This was a typical liberal who wanted to use race to defend President Obama’s unworkable health care legislation, and his other failed ideas. Liberals can’t use facts and logic because the facts do not support the passage of ObamaCare, or other failed ideas such as Cash for Clunkers or the manufactured concept of counting “saved jobs”.

People who use race and illogical comparisons to segregation and slavery to defend President Obama are the real racists. They resort to this empty logic when they are desperate to say something to refute the facts even if it does not make sense. It is also an attempt to silence and intimidate people, especially white people. According to their empty logic, that makes me a black racist against black people, in addition to an “Uncle Tom” and a “sellout”.

In the vernacular of my grandfather “I does not care!”

Millions of black Americans and I went to school on the sacrifices of our parents and grandparents to learn how to think for ourselves. We succeeded! All Americans are beneficiaries of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the significant progress this country has made towards equal opportunity. And we are suppose to just shut up because President Obama is dark-skinned? I don’t think so!

Tyranny is the suppression of disagreement, and the control of people’s lives through legislative and regulatory abuse of power. That’s what the “tea party people” are passionately against, and I will continue to echo those views as loudly and often as I can.

Rational American Citizens Interested in Saving This country are not the racists. We are the patriots.